Thursday, December 27, 2012

12/27/12 - First 4 Days in the US

I'm sitting in the same chair I sat in 5 months ago when I set the blog up, staring at the same lake as before and drinking out of the same coffee mug.  Only now I'm marveling at the ice on the lake and am happy that my coffee is cool enough to drink in 5 minutes vs. 25 minutes and warms me up vs. makes me hot enough to start sweating.  After being here for 4 days, the question has popped into my head multiple times, "Do I really live in Singapore now or was that just a dream like a plot twist in a TV show?"  The British plugs on my phone charger convince me that I am still lucid, but the old maxim continues to hold true "time sure flies".

First experiences so far that really stick out (that never would have if we'd been here all along).  I landed in San Francisco after 16 hours of flying, happy to be back on US soil, but not thrilled about the 5 hour layover I had to endure before getting on my flight to Minneapolis.  At least this would be my 3rd red-eye flight out of the Delta terminal in SFO so I knew how to play the game.  Straight to Perry's for some bread bowl clam chowder and a few beers.  I tried to stifle a smirk when I saw my large Sierra Nevada was only $7.95.  This would have seemed like an overpriced airport bar beer 6 months ago and now I felt like I had found the best bar on the planet.  There was an NBA basketball game on that sucked me in immediately (minimal sports for 5 months will do that to you) to the point that I almost missed the college kid next to me ordering "cheese burger, fries, mac and cheese and whatever the cheapest beer you have."  When it came out it was clearly enough food for 2 1/2 people, but he didn't even blink while eating it and ordered a second Bud Light to boot.  Clearly I was getting close to home.

Walking out of the airport in Minneapolis to the car was the exact opposite of getting off a plane in Singapore.  If there is such a thing as a blast freezer vs. a blast furnace, this was it.  Once the car was warm though, everything felt fine, especially when I heard a Dave Ryan commercial on the radio station.  The bagels and coffee for breakfast at Sarah's parents house brought me even closer towards the home comfort zone.

Four hours later I was at the lake marveling at how I had gotten here.  21st century travel always leaves me with a sense of wonder when you really step back to think about it.  The 4 days after my arrival have been a whirlwind of family, dogs, Christmas and eating.  Anytime we know someone going back to the US the first thing anyone asks them is "what is the first thing you're going to eat?"  So far it has been a parade of comfort food (mashed potatoes, meatballs, ham, black beans, pie, good cheese, wine, etc) that has been a great contrast to our routine in the tropics that involves eating out for 95% of our meals.  Instead of trying to find a restaurant that serves something that seems normal, normal is right in front of you.  The burgers and burritos will come, but this officially checked me into the "home hotel."  Now I just need to kick the jet lag to the curb.  Was awake until 11:30 last night and woke up at 7:30 today on my own.  Hopefully 4 days is the magic number.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy New Year and any other holiday I may have missed.  More reports to come as we have plenty more time with family, friends and work colleagues in the next 8 days.




No comments:

Post a Comment