Saturday, October 13, 2012

10/13/12 - Lazy Singapore Saturday

What to do after a long week of work and some late night conference calls?  Seemed like a perfect day for a lazy Saturday. Unfortunately, the powers that be at the MBA program decided that Saturdays are the logical choice for mid-terms.  This meant that only half of the Court's could partake in some general sitting around.  Feeling the need to do something quasi productive before commencing doing nothing, I wandered over to the Empress Market for some quick grocery shopping.  Stopped at my favorite fruit stall and picked up a pineapple, starfruit, 3 mangoes, 4 apples, grapes and bananas.  Total bill was $21.  I honestly don't know if that was a good price or not, but this guy tries to pick out better fruit for me and gives me recommendations so I trust him.  Plus its fruit from an outdoor market vs. the grocery store, so it has to be better, right?

After that brief stop, I took my reusable Target bag (have to at least pretend we can still shop at Target) and stopped at the Prata Hut in the Hawker portion of the market.  I've been meaning to get something from there for about a month now, but their weekend hours haven't seemed to mesh with my schedule yet, i.e. mid-afternoon. Similar to an SAT question 'as the shopping was making me feel better about the impending lazy afternoon', 'all the fresh fruit made me feel better about buying 2 quite greasy banana pratas' for breakfast.  They cut up a banana for each one and then fold the dough around the fruit.  Sounded healthy so far until it then was fried on an oily griddle like a giant pancake.  You can see the results for yourself.  However, I may have found my new favorite weekend breakfast treat.

It rained for awhile this afternoon, which meant the temperature was perfect for some outdoor porch sitting.  First it was Wall Street Journal and Sports Illustrated, now time to catch up some TV.  The kids in the next unit over are watching Star Wars (sounds like the Death Star just exploded - I half expected part of our wall to come crumbling down too) so my choice of digital distraction may change to Rebels vs. the Empire from the intended Big Bang Theory.  Although in a way that still seems fitting too.

After the midterms tonight we're off to BlooiE's (actual spelling) Roadhouse Bar for a celebration of no more tests for awhile.  Would it be too much to ask for them to have deep-fried pickles?  Personally, if you're going to call yourself a roadhouse bar I think that would be one of the requirements.  Will report back as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment