Monday, November 5, 2012

11/4/12 - Mango Madness!


For some reason whenever I'm cutting up a mango to eat I always think of either Chris Kattan playing "Mango" on Saturday Night Live (the best one being when he rebuffs Garth Brooks advances) or the mango episode in Seinfeld when Kramer gets banished from the fruit shop and George has to buy his fruit for him.  In doing so George uses the power of the mango to get his game back, so he wins in the end (sort of, watch the episode).  Kramer is still stuck relying on others to procure produce for him and in the end, is still Kramer.  Who would have thought one fruit could show up in so many comedic situations?

The tasty predicament we found ourselves in this weekend was that Australian Mangoes were on sale at Cold Storage for $6.99 (normally between $10 and $11) whereas the Thai Mangoes I buy at the Empress Market are $6.99 per kilo.  As is going to become readily apparent, I buy this fruit on a regular basis.  Its amazingly flavorful and good for you (Vitamins A, B, C, E and too many other benefits to count).  Basically you get the benefits of apples, oranges and carrots all at once, except its sweeter than all of them.  Outstanding.  Now the only issue I have is where to look for them regularly, grocery store or market?  Lets run it down.

Size
The photo doesn't do it justice, but the Australian mango in the middle was the size of a large softball whereas the Thai mangoes on either side are longer, skinnier and about half the size.  So at least in our sample one Australian mango = two Thai mangoes.  In this case that would be a tie due to price, but since the Australian one was on sale we'll give a slight edge to Thailand.
Advantage - Slight Thailand

Country of Origin
This is a tough one.  We did just spend a great weekend in Bangkok and love the beaches in Phuket, but we haven't been to Australia yet, so tough to make that comparison.  Do you go to music then?  Men at Work's song 'Down Under' is pretty good, but its no 'One Night in Bangkok.'  Movies?  Crocodile Dundee I and II (lets pretend the III didn't happen, I know I have) are much better than The Beach or Hangover II.  Animals?  You can't really ride a kangaroo or a koala bear like you can an elephant.  This could go on for awhile.....
Advantage - Push.

Ease of Obtaining
There is a Cold Storage one MRT stop away in both directions.  Getting to the MRT is all of about 10 seconds faster than the Empress Market and you can enjoy some free air con for awhile.... on the train and in Cold Storage.  However, I can be to the Empress Market and back twice in the time it would take to go to the grocery store.  Plus, I can get some banana prata or dumpling ramen at the market.  I'm leaning Thailand.
Advantage - Slight Thailand

Preparation
One of the downsides to eating a mango is its a mini disaster to prepare.  There are pits in the middle that really really really don't want to come out.  Plus, with the fruit being so juicy, once you start cutting into it its like trying to hold onto a greased watermelon (only you're holding onto a knife that could cut your finger off).  The Australian pit was more round like a peach core whereas the Thai pits were long and skinny, kind of like arrowheads or spear points (I've been reading too much Game of Thrones).  Although you could peel the Thai Mangoes, getting the round pit out was easier and I didn't feel like the fruit was going to jump out of my hands and hit the ceiling at any point.  If that were to happen we'd be fighting an ant war in the kitchen for months.
Advantage - Solid Australia

Taste
Probably the most important factor when you get right down to it, but in this case, you'd be splitting hairs.  Each was sweet, juicy, and you felt like you were eating dessert instead of something that was good for you. Can we find a way to put mangoes in vending machines in the US instead of candy bars?
Advantage - Push

Wrap-Up
So where does this whole exercise get us?  It depends on what you think is the most important characteristic  but since we have effectively eliminated taste (both were great) the laziness factor really kicks in. If I can be across the street and back in half the time (and pick up some greasy, fried banana prata because I bought some fruit and assuaged my conscience) plus consistently pay the same price or less - well Empress Market will be maintaining my business..... as long as my inner Kramer doesn't come out and I get banished.

3 comments:

  1. Dude...I LOVED this post! You managed to combine two of my favorite things by conducting an analytical scientific study of food! Simply amazing. Might I suggest another topic for scientific/culinary evaluation. I went to a thai restaurant yesterday for lunch and was paralyzed with having to choose between the various curry options (red, green, yellow, orange, Panang, and Masaman. Now I presume that you have already established a favorite color (potentially even before you were in the region) but for the sake of those who haven't, it would be a fantastic excuse to eat a bunch of it and provide a breakdown of flavors, aromas, etc. Now, I do realize that I could evaluate this on my own but the reliability (and availability) of authentic thai food for me is significantly less and may impact the validity of the study. So your mission, should you choose to accept it, is a breakdown of the differences between the varieties of curry. Potential categories include flavors, aroma, and levels of spice but could also include geographical or historical contexts where appropriate. For example, I read the other day that Masaman style curries originate in the southern tip of Thailand (almost to Malaysia). This region is more Islamic than the rest of the country which means that it is often offered with chicken (and not pork) because Muslims do not eat pork. Take it from there...

    ...this message will self destruct in 5 seconds...4...3...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a hard time finding anything wrong with this idea. What a great excuse to go try more food! This may take awhile to collect the data, but I promise full byline credit when we go to press.

    At least we aren't trying to evaluate what type of food they will be eating in the new Star Wars movie that comes out in 3 years.....

    ReplyDelete